Thursday, July 10, 2008

Atheist Priorities

Vjack, over at Atheist Revolution, has a post that is concerned with picking one's battles.

Of course, I have picked mine already (and Vjack has acknowledged that and supported it). But there are a point that I wish to make on this topic.

It is utterly stupid for us to be spending so much time fighting each other over what battles to fight that we do not have any time or effort left to fight any battles.

I know that there are people who think that opposing 'under God' and 'In God We Trust' is a mistake because of the strength of the backlash that such a camapaign will generate. I believe that they are mistaken - that there can be no victory anywhere unless these tools for propagandizing children are removed. But I am not going to spend only a fraction of my time fighting such critics. I will spend the bulk of my time fighting the Pledge and the Motto themselves.

I recommend that others do the same. Whatever priority you think is most worth pursuing . . . pursue it. Don't spend your time telling everybody how good a plan it is. Show them.

No comments: