Thursday, June 7, 2007

Introduction

I am creating this second blog to help keep track of daily events as I work on my various projects, as well as to make short comments on the news of the day.

I will continue to use my other blog, Atheist Ethicist, to post philosophical essays.

The number one news item of the day is that Wikipedia has execute a decision to delete a wikipedia entry on desire utilitarianism that some kind readers tried to add to the site. It has bothered me that I was not able to meet one of the principle requirements to support their efforts - that I have not sought notoriety for my ideas.

Since then, I have decided to try marketing my ideas better. Rather than just throwing out essays and letting the electronic chips fall where they may, I have decided to take up a number of projects that, hopefully, will result in greater effectiveness in making the world a better place.

One reader, Borofkin, has responded by making a wiki scratchpad on desire utilitarianism. For this, I am grateful.

I invite anybody who is interested to participate. As Borofkin said in creating the site, desire utilitarianism does not belong to me. In fact, I can only follow its implications through a small subset of the realm of human knowledge. I would be more than happy to have others contribute to trace its threads through other aspects of human thought - psychology, law, through belief/desire theory into the realm of artificial intelligence, literature and film, and the like.

Others have volunteered to give me help in other ways.

One of the first projects that I would like any serious volunteer to take up is this:

Identify, and write a review, on any material particularly geared to teaching critical reasoning skills (e.g., informal fallacies, logic, the scientific method, bgs of the mind) so that they will be better armed to approach issues reasonably. If you write a good review, I will present it here.

I thank you all for your support.

No comments: