Friday, June 8, 2007

Why I Wrote the Hitchens Article

Today, I am preparing for a trip, so it is not a good day to get work done.

Today's posting is on Christopher Hitchens comments regarding the evil of religion.

I choose this topic because I think that there is a very real danger of atheists ignoring the true source of morality. Atheists are human. There is no reason to doubt that they are vulnerable to the types of attitudes that are responsible for historic evils - unless they make an effort to identify those attitudes and guard against them.

We cannot say that religion is the source of this evil, because we must still ask the question, "Since religions are created by humans, from where comes the evil that humans have written into religion?" That is the true source of evil, and that is the evil we must guard against.

Anyway, I am off on a trip tomorrow, which, as I said, prevents me from doing much today. However, tomorrow, I should be able to catch up a bit.

Take care of yourselves.

No comments: